My daughters are my mirror; they are the best reflection in all things, inside and out. So, as I anticipated celebrating their 21 and 25th birthdays, I was inspired to share 101 things I want them to know for all of their lives. Here is my long list, sent to both with love and unending respect for who they have become, beautiful women who exude courage, compassion and confident humility… notably some suggestions are inside jokes.
101 Things I Want Aubrey and Taylor-Grace and their Friends…and their Friends… To Know!
1. Chocolate is only a temporary fix.
2. Temporary pleasures lead to permanent reminders.
3. For happiness take pleasure in little things, enjoy moments, choose optimism.
4. Pray daily, keep your faith alive.
5. Always look up for guidance… listen, let your heart speak and go with it.
6. A boyfriend does not validate your existence. God already has.
7. Find your own YOUnique style and live it gracefully.
8. Never loose hope, Hang On; Pain Ends.
9. Volunteer regularly and give back.
10. Be aware, seek beauty in all things.
11. Buy your friends dinner when you can.
12. Wear sunscreen like it’s your moisturizer.
13. Never, ever… ever burn a bridge.
14. Make the world feel at ease around you.
15. Walk with your head up.
16. Order dessert on a first date if you want to.
17. Don’t bite your nails (or pick at your nail polish;-).
18. Don’t over think style, lipstick, white t-shirt, leather jacket, jeans and go.
19. Learn from your mistakes, let go, move on, and do not repeat them!
20. Brush and floss. You only get one set.
21. Your GPA is not a reflection of your character.
22. Build networks and knowledge, who and what you know are equally important.
23. You don’t have to like yoga or running…
24. Find some thing you DO like and make it a daily habit.
25. Rest if you must, but never, ever quit.
26. A properly‑fitting bra is not a luxury. It is a necessity.
27. Even if you’re tall, wear heels anyway.
28. Strive for classy and always avoid catty.
29. Drink whiskey if you like whiskey, Drink wine if you like wine.
30. In moderation, wasted is a waste of character, reputation and the next day.
31. Drink water day and night.
32. Live with intention, offer no explanation.
33. Pick a signature perfume, only a hint, sparingly is better!
34. Be comfortable in sweats AND stilettos (but not at the same time).
35. A woman is a woman is a woman, She is alive in you .Let Her Shine.
36. Love your fellow woman with all your heart and soul.
37. Cry, uninhibited, with your friends.
38. Laugh until you can’t breathe with your friends.
39. Tell Momma everything. Seriously.
40. Exercise daily to be strong & healthy. A beautiful soul needs a sturdy vessel.
41. There is no shame in hoping for love.
42. Remember my cooking is the best cooking.
43. Do not take sex lightly.
44. I mean it.
45. Learn to like leftovers. They’re good.
46. Tragedy happens, it is not God’s fault, but seek Him in it.
47. Be interested AND interesting at every dinner table, in every conversation.
48. Be careful most guys are interested in only 1 thing until the age of 26.
49. Avoid dieting, instead always eat mindfully.
50. Involve yourself in an CAUSE you love.
51. Dare to Try. Don’t live under the curse of woulda, coulda, shoulda.
52. Take hot baths with a soothing beverage, great music or good book.
53. Look people in the eye, it is the window to their soul.
54. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you feel, smarter than you think.
55. Always keep your promises.
56. Smile, it makes you feel better.
57. Say what you mean, mean what you say, never say it mean.
58. I am always, always listening.
60. Journal, blog, pin…. somehow capture your adventures and dreams.
61. Say sorry. Say please.
62. Say thank you and write formal thank you notes often.
63. You’ve been grafted into a story, make it a good one.
64. Your story isn’t really yours.
65. You are a compilation of others’ stories. Strive to enrich the story.
66. Well-fitting and modest are ALWAYS sexier than too small, short and tight.
67. Who cares if glitter isn’t tasteful?
68. Put on your makeup in natural lighting (anything that mimics sunlight).
69. Choose your friends carefully.
70. You have to be great company, to keep great company.
71. Wash your face twice daily.
72. Revere your skin, treat it with great care.
73. Silence is telling, express it wisely.
74. Literature is good, read, read, read.
75. History is powerful, develop an interest. 7
6. And math… well, it SUCKS so know someone good at it.
77. There is no substitute for fresh air. Get outside, walk and talk.
78. Never let your weight get out of control.
79. Be authentic, it will scare the shit out of some, but that’s ok.
80. When you feel sad, crank up the tunes, sing out loud, dance. Then call home.
81. Create no debit, divide your earnings: pay, save, give and play.
82. Never compromise on love, hold out.
83. Marriage is one of THE most important decisions of your life.
84. Expect the best from everyone.
85. There is a certain kind of man you need to avoid at all costs…
86. You’ll know him when you meet him. Walk!
87. People will let you down. Don’t let them do it twice.
88. Opt for spending money on experiences not stuff.
89. Remember, you can always change your direction.
90. Be grateful and seek happiness in eternal things.
91. Give thoughtful gifts.
92. Form an opinion and be able to support it.
93. Listen to different opinions. You don’t have to agree, but listen.
94. Do not gossip; it is a reciprocal trap.
95. Respectfully disagree with people when you need to.
96. If it’s worth fighting for, fight fiercely.
97. Don’t fight for acceptance.
98. You shouldn’t have to.
99. Stand up for family and friends… always.
100. Be financially responsible, pay on time and always pay back.
101. Ok, so it’s good to have a private stash of chocolate, but less is more & dark is best. I hope these enrich you for a lifetime.